Sunday, September 8, 2013

Toughskins

The 1758 Forbes Campaign will always be one of my favorites. Pants are optional, no uniforms for the Virginians. Instead, there is comfy Indian dress. Shooting with paper cartridges and the powder horn, while moving quickly, is great practice.

Bad news: the company that produces the collar eagles for the Oxford Light Infantry uniform no longer make them. Thank the FSM, I know one of the best period metal smiths in the country. Ward Oles of At The Eastern Door makes fantastic 17th and 18th century trade goods. He copied some of my orphaned 18th century sleeve links, and can hopefully rescue me with some eagles. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, I brought in another expert to consult on the OLI leather forage cap bill. the cap went together quickly, so I started on the white jean cloth trousers. Not terribly practical, those. My second attempt at early 19th-century trousers should be easier than the first. I find myself referring to these earlier photos often.

So here are the right fronts. The bearer, at left, is resting on the fall, which just sticks up at top. The entire right of the photo is taken up with the cotton pocket bag. MUCH easier to attach all this stuff before putting the pants together.

Next, the outside leg seams are done and the waistband goes on. That way, all the fitting can be done in the crouch and inside leg seams. With my corkscrew legs and the high waist, this is essential.

Until then, behold the splendor of Massachusetts militia headgear in the first quarter of the 19th century. Surprisingly practical considering the silver tape. Fingers crossed for eagles and stain free pants in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Pants are option, no uniforms sound like the best Regimental Mess night ever. Is that a cut down felt cap you are wearing for the Forbes expedition? Great post, love the 19thc soft cap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually a civilian "jockey cap" made for me by Matt Brenckle. The bill is more elliptical, and it has a bow in the back. Breech clouts are the best invention since cold beer.

      Delete